This is such a great recipe for a chicken, mushroom, and rice casserole. I adapted it from twirlandtaste.com.
What you will need:
- 4-8 boneless skinless chicken breasts (If they are thick, I would cut them in half)
- 1 pound of uncooked brown or white rice (2 1/4-2 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups mixture white cheeses
- 1 can cream of chicken garlic soup
- 1 can cream of onion soup
- 1/2 cup half and half
- spices: thyme, onion powder, pepper, salt
- 1 chopped onion (sauteed)
- 3 cups of chicken broth
- the big cartoon of sliced mushrooms (sautéed)
- half a stick of butter
Pour the uncooked rice onto a sprayed 9×13 pan. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over it. Sprinkle half of the mushrooms over the cheese. Place raw chicken (season if you want) over the mushrooms. Mix 2 tbsp butter, both soups, 1/2 cup half and half, spices, and the sautéed onions. Spread the mixture over the chicken. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 2 hours. You may have to add more broth/water after 1 hour if there is no liquid left. After everything is cooked, sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese and mushrooms over the casserole. Allow it to melt and then you are ready to serve.